Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Another great Will Smith performance

*****

I didn't even bother trying to see I Am Legend in theaters because there was so much hype built up for it that tickets were sold out for days. I finally found it to watch on http://www.movieforumz.com/ - in great quality, I might add.

Dr. Robert Neville (Will Smith) is a scientist in the Army who helps discover a cure for cancer when the vaccine begins having side effects similar to those of rabies. Minutes after boarding his wife and daughter on a helicopter to evacuate Manhattan, a recognizance copter collides with theirs and kills them. Three years later, Neville is the only man alive on Earth - or at least, he is the only man free from infection. He and his German Shepard, Samantha, spend their days collecting food, returning DVDs to the local rental store and flirting with attractive mannequins, which Neville is actually nervous to do; needless to say, he lost a few of his marbles, what with being seemingly the only person on Earth. He meets up with two other survivors, Anna and Ethan, as he struggles to find a cure for the disease to fix what he helped create.

The movie, overall, is very well animated and interesting from start to finish. Smith performs so well that you actually believe he knows what it feels like to be the last man on Earth. At one point he begs a mannequin to say "Hello." It was actually very sad.

A few questions in the plot are left unanswered, however. For instance: how did the cure for cancer go so awry? How did it spread (besides being airborn)? Why was Smith's character immune to the disease? There are others, but I can't remember them all at the moment. I did enjoy the movie, though, and I found myself yelling at my computer monitor repeatedly during the scenes that scared me.

It would be neat to see this movie on the big screen with the sound all around you. Since I already saw it, though, I won't pay $10+ to see it again.


No comments: