Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sweeney Todd steals my heart

*****

It's true - Johnny Depp has successfully managed to steal my affection yet again, much in the style that he did in Edward Scissorhands.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street is an amazing musical gothic drama about love, lust and revenge. A mysterious man by the name of Sweeney Todd (Depp) makes his way to London with the hopes of seeking revenge against Judge Turpin (Alan Rickman), the man who wrongly accused him of a crime and stole his wife and child in a time when Todd was a barber named Benjamin Barker. Todd returns to Mrs. Lovett's (Helena Bonham Carter) Bakery, where Mrs. Lovett recognizes him as Barker, tells him his wife is dead and helps him concoct a plan to retrieve his daughter by killing the judge. However, when the judge is not so easy to get to, Todd and Lovett decide to practice on other less-than-innocent clients until the time comes that he can exact his revenge. But what to do with the bodies? Well, Mrs. Lovett knows just what to do, and she won't have to kill stray cats for her meat pies any longer.

Johnny Depp can model, act, steal my heart and sing. Very well, in fact; his voice was actually surprising. Helena Bonham Carter has a talent for music as well, which I already knew from Corpse Bride.

This is a great movie, one which I wish I had seen in theaters (but as of late I've been low on movie theater funds so I've been watching them free online!). I would recommend that anyone who loves Depp, Carter or Tim Burton films see this one - I'll definitely be buying it when it hits stores on DVD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yhee i realy wanna ssy that movie to.
it seams to be a grait story and i just love depp, all films he dose is so wonderfull =)

Anonymous said...

yhee i realy wanna ssy that movie to.
it seams to be a grait story and i just love depp, all films he dose is so wonderfull =)